There is no cure for the common cold, but there are things you can do to alleviate the symptoms and feel better:
- Get plenty of rest: This will help your body fight off the infection and heal.
- Drink fluids: Water, fresh fruit juices, and broth can help thin out mucus and keep you hydrated.
- Avoid decongestants: These can actually make your cold last longer by drying out the mucus in your sinuses.
- Take vitamins like vitamin C, Vitamin D, and probiotics.
- Use a humidifier: Dry air can irritate your airways and make congestion worse. A humidifier can help keep the air moist and ease breathing. Make sure it is clean and mold free.
- Try nasal irrigation: Using a neti pot or other nasal irrigation device can help clear out mucus and alleviate congestion. Add water soluble iodine and sea salt.
- Eat well: While you may not feel like eating when you have a cold, it's important to get enough vitamins and minerals to help your body heal. Try to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and protein.
Remember, it's important to take care of yourself and give your body time to rest and recover. Most colds will go away on their own within a week or two. If your symptoms persist or you feel very sick, it's a good idea to see a healthcare provider.